Saturday 2 October 2010

Natural Lounge Meet Up - 4th Book Reading


What a great start to the month. Today, I was invited to read extracts from my book Hair Power Skin Revolution at The Natural Lounge Meet Up http://www.thenaturallounge.com/ at the Traffic Bar in Holborn, London. This is the 4th book reading that has been held. I talked about how the idea for the book evolved from a Black History Month project in October 2008, where I collected and edited black women's Africentric natural hair stories to post on a new Hair Stories Blog http://www.hairjournal.blogspot.com/ I read my hair story, A Journey to Natural Hair and ended with a poem Settling In from Louisa Adjoa-Parker, one of the book's contributors.

The agenda included an official welcome from Jennifer Jumbe of Big Idea's Networking, http://www.bigideasnetworking.com/ who also hosted the event. Girl in a Thunderbolt, http://www.girlinathunderbolt.com/ performed two of her latest tracks from her new album Seven Sisters.

After the break, Michelle Olorunda gave a talk, Caring for your Hair - The Natural Way with Naturally Nubian who also has a popular You Tube Natural channel www.youtube.com/user/NaturallyNubian.
The event was well attended by over 100 people, which generated alot of inspiring and thought-provoking debate, including Natural Hair in the workplace, which focused on one of the main reasons why people don't want to go natural is because they are afraid it is perceived as not professional for the work place. I felt that most of the commentary was positive in that women shared that often it was other black women who questioned their decision to go natural and that in most cases, natural hair is embraced rather than frowned upon.

Thanks must go to Angel Smith who set up the natural lounge website and organised the event. I'd also like to thank Anduosjahla James-Wheatle, one of the book's contributors, for her support by accompanying me and taking the photos posted above.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for coming down to speak people really loved hearing your reading and I was delighted you could make it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for inviting me and giving me the opportunity to share my natural hair journey. When's the next event?

    ReplyDelete