Wednesday 22 October 2008

Shangwe Poetry Event - Feedback

I received this email yesterday, and thought it needed sharing:

Dear Nicole Moore,

I am writing to thank you for organising the poetry night Shangwe. I attended on the last Thursday of August and I am pleased to say I got my money's worth. I was doing an extended project at college on poems based on the views of young black people living in Britain and whether they viewed themselves as British.

The poetry night helped a lot as although I had the views I did not have the poems. The event showcased to me what poetry is, a way of expression, and that is why I wanted to write poetry. The poetry night also exposed me to poems about identity, which is what I was looking for, in particular Akuba's The Awakening of Elmina and the first poem performed by Devon "the Split" Jones.

I am pleased to say that I have completed my own poems and project as a whole. Also I wanted to add that I noticed you in my local paper discussing our hair and black history month. If time permits I may be contributing my own story as well.

Regards,

Caroline Sabiiti.

Caroline also sent me a couple of poems, which I will be posting in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment